The EKOEXCEL effect was supported by The Education Partnership Center in partnership with LASG SUBEB studying the effect of the Lagos’ State Government’s EKOEXCEL programme.
The study evidenced accelerated student achievement gains, better classroom culture, and stronger curriculum management.
EKOEXCEL has more supportive learning environments and more positive behavioral expectations compared to typical schools:
- EKOEXCEL classrooms have set positive behavioural expectations and have set a supportive learning environment
- EKOEXCEL girls have a higher percentage of attending school than girls in status quo classrooms. Attendance for boys across program and status quo schools was similarly strong.
- EKOEXCEL classrooms are rated high or very high on two critical determinants of classroom culture: Supportive Learning Environment and Positive Behavioral Expectations.
by Head Teachers
- EKOEXCEL head teachers have become confident about lesson plans maintaining curriculum adherence and quality. Additionally, EKOEXCEL headteachers access lesson plans through their tablet to ensure that the lessons are delivered according to plan.
EKOEXCEL has dramatically accelerated student literacy and numeracy performance, showing statistically significant differences between student performance in EKOEXCEL schools versus their peers in traditional schools:
- EKOEXCEL students have advanced in numeracy twice as fast as students in traditional schools.
- In Literacy, EKOEXCEL students have progressed 3x as fast as their peers in comparable schools.